January – typically the coldest and darkest month of the year. What a way to welcome 2024! Even though we’ve only had rain so far, this is when we are most likely to encounter snow and ice and other cold weather conditions. This is a good time to check to be sure you are prepared for winter weather driving. Please remember these tips:
• Check your tires! Tires that are worn do not have good traction and will not perform well on rain or ice or snow slickened roads. Replacing tires is a hassle and an expense – but getting into an accident is far worse.
• Be sure your windshield wipers are working properly. Replace the blades if necessary.
• Carry an ice scraper, a shovel, gloves, and a blanket. Consider keeping a bottle of water and some snacks in your car just in case you are stuck on the road longer than expected.
• Keep your gas tank at least half full and always know where you are going!
• Carry a flashlight – especially helpful if you’re looking for an address in the dark or encounter a power outage upon arriving to your destination.
Please take care of yourselves and be safe!
Written by Julianne Ferguson, January 2024